Information about required documents for the application and the aptitude assessment of the Master's program Research on Teaching and Learning.
- a classified Bachelor's degree awarded by a German or foreign university after a program of at least six semesters or an at least equivalent qualification in the programs: scientific education for teachers at grammar schools, vocational training, pedagogy/educational science and psychology or comparable programs
- a proof of successful participation in either a lecture, seminar or project on research methods for the social sciences
- adequate knowledge of English
- passing the aptitude assessment
- basic German language skills (If students cannot prove any German skills by the end of the application deadline, they only receive admission under the condition of having to attain basic German skills (passing a module taught in German, a German language course,...) until the end of the second semester.)
The start of the Master’s course is only possible in the winter semester.
The Bachelor’s course has not to be finished at the time of application, however at the beginning of the Master’s program the Bachelor's degree has to be proved. You can already apply in your last semester.
The online application period for the winter semester starts on January 1st and ends on May 31st (deadline). Please note that applicants with a Bachelor's degree awarded outside of the EU/EEA not only need to apply at the Technische Universität München (TUM), but also via Uni-assist for a preliminary processing and evaluation of their qualification papers until the due date May 31st.
Please upload all documents to TUMonline, documents submitted via email cannot be processed. You do not have to submit any paper documents until your documents have been examined and you have passed the aptitude assessment and thus received admission. As soon as you accept your spot, you will be able to submit the required documents for enrollment (signed application for enrollment and all documents required as notarized hardcopies always have to be submitted by post). Just follow the detailed TUM instructions regarding the online application
Only those applicants who fulfill the qualification requirements will be admitted to the aptitude assessment:
In the first stage, the final grade of your Bachelor's program calculated on the basis of 120/90 credits, as well as your motivation letter, will be evaluated using a point system. Depending on the number of points accumulated, applicants are either immediately admitted, rejected or invited to a 20 minute interview (second stage).
Required application documents
(application deadline: May 31st)
- A classified Bachelor's degree awarded by a German or foreign university after a program of at least six semesters or an at least equivalent qualification in the programs: scientific education for teachers at grammar schools, vocational training, pedagogy/educational science and psychology or comparable programs (Transcript of Records, Degree Certificate and Diploma ))
- Applicants for Master's degree programs, who are not already enrolled at Technische Universität München (TUM), with a qualification for postgraduate studies (e.g. a Bachelor's degree), which was not obtained in a country of the EU/EEA or in Switzerland, are required to have their application documents evaluated before submission by the University Application Service for International Students (uni-assist e.V.).
- A proof of at least 120 credits of which 90 credits must be shown to be examination results: You have to choose achievements amounting to 90 ECTS from your transcript to be entered in an excel sheet, the transcript itself is not sufficient. That excel sheet needs to be downloaded in your TUMonline account, filled out and be uploaded again. Applicants whose BA's program does not come under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) habe to enter exactly the half (1/2) of all achievements including the alterantive quantitative unit (e.g. CP, hours) and the grades. If your grading system is based on letters, please convert them into a numerical value according to the grading scale according to your transcript of records.
- A copy of the transcript of records in which the selected 120/90 credits are marked.
- A proof of the successul participation in either a lecture, seminar or project in the field of social science methods. The title of the course needs to be entered in a form which is provided during the application process in TUMonline. Additionally, we require an official course description.
- A proof of English language competence
- A proof of basic German language competence (If students cannot proof any German skills by the end of the application deadline, they only receive admission under the condition of having to attain basic German skills (passing a module taught in German, a German language course,...) until the end of the second semester)
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- The formal application request
For detailed information about the aptitudes assessment procedure and the evaluation criteria, please check appendix 2 of the Master's regulations (in German only).
Details about the Notarization of Documents